Thursday, December 5, 2019

an open letter to anyone tempted to give up

Today.  This moment.  Right now.  You have a chance to be great.  To be honest.  To be kind.  To do your job.  To tell yourself a different story about yourself.

I am perfectly well aware that some of you have a story that goes something like, "I always tell myself I'm going to do better at the beginning of a semester, and then..."

I care very much about you and the quality of your life, so I'm going to take this moment to be honest.

Knock it off.

Your honesty is welcome too.  If you are dealing with difficult circumstances, or feelings related to anxiety or depression, this is an opportunity to be honest with a teacher.  Communicate.  Get some support.  Take responsibility for the outcome, and begin to take responsibility for your life.  I will honor your trust and I will listen.  I understand family and illness and all sorts of emergent adversity, and I understand stress, and I will work with you to figure out a solution.

But I have had several conversations like this one


and I believe that every single one of you is better than that.  If you haven't yet met an adult who cares enough to tell you directly: "Sorry, that's not good enough-- you have to do better," well, hello. 

If you are dealing with a real obstacle, please communicate with me so that we can collaborate.  If your only adversaries are your bad habits and laziness and self-talk and screen time, then this moment is a great opportunity to stop the binge-and-beat-yourself-up cycle.  Create a turning point that you'll tell your kids about someday.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off the mat, and do your job.  This isn't about a grade in a high school English class.  This is about pushing past your limitations, realizing the world owes you nothing, and deciding to live your life in a more honorable way.

As a person who cares about you and your families, I will accept nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...