Friday, January 17, 2020

thought for the day

First, an apology: I just remembered that last semester a few students asked me to post what I read on a weekly basis.  I agreed to follow through-- and then I forgot all about it.  This weekend I'll install a widget or a tab where I share.

For now, one book I read frequently is a book of quotes about Stoicism.  Stoicism is a philosophy (you can read more HERE) that emphasizes our own reasoned choice as a way for us to understand life and get closer to some sense of contentment.

The Daily Stoic quotes Stoic philosophers, including a former slave and an emperor, and presents short interpretations that give me things to think about as I start my day.  Today's quote struck me because it is EXACTLY why I invite students to consider their own Big Questions.

As you consider your Big Question for next week, ask yourself: What's worth your best effort?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...