Sunday, November 10, 2019

tuesday's essay prompt

As of now (Sunday around 1:30 P.M.) 16 comments have been published on the essay prompt post.  On one hand, this isn't enough to get me to write and publish the prompt ahead of time.  On the other, 16 people have commented, and I really do want to support your success, so here's my offer.  I am going to start a rough draft of the prompt below.  If you have an idea about what (else) the prompt should include, or how it should be presented to give you the best chance to show what you know, please comment to this post.  The more prepared you are, the more organized you can make your notes, and the better you will do on Tuesday.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Frederick Douglass was a leader of the abolitionist movement and a contemporary of Ralph Waldo Emerson.  Like Emerson, Douglass believed in the power and the will of the individual, as you can see in the following quote:

“I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.”

[Here's where you come in.  How does this quote align with Emerson's philosophy?  What do you think I should ask that will give you the opportunity to show what you've learned from reading "On Self-Reliance"?]

3 comments:

  1. Emerson and Frederick Douglass both wanted us to be true to our selfs and to other. Both of them also have the same idea of telling the truth even if it hurts people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both talk about how being true to yourself could change your life and not falling in to the other people ideas.Also the idea of ignoring others behaviors if not you will fall with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to believe your own thoughts, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men

    ReplyDelete

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...