Tuesday, April 28, 2020

fahrenheit 451 essay

If you've been joining our online meetings or watching the recordings on the course blog, you know that there are a few awesome diehards -- people that I will truly remember for the rest of my life -- who show up every day and contribute their thinking to the course.

Yesterday, I asked them what they thought would make a good essay prompt. They basically went all Guy Montag on me and said they don't want to write essays the way they've been told all their lives. Instead, they suggested that I give you a menu of themes from the book, and techniques that Ray Bradbury uses to convey those themes, and turn you loose.

In today's meeting (coming up in about 5 minutes), I will explain the menu, answer questions, and demonstrate an approach to writing the essay live.  Please join us!  If you can't, please watch the recording later. As always, if you have any questions, please comment to this post or send me an email.

Hope you're all doing well.  Here's the buffet:

THEMES
Self-determination
Materialism/ capitalism
Happiness/ peace of mind
Independence
Personal connection/ intimacy
Technology
Dystopian society

(*Note: censorship isn't on here. If you still think that's the main theme of the book, catch up with us!)

TECHNIQUES
Characterization
Figurative language
Dialogue
Extended metaphor (hands, for example)
Narrative voice
Plot development

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...