Thursday, April 9, 2020

concern about grades

Hi All,
This week I received an email indicating that administrators are discussing how to handle grades.  As I have told you, I can't pretend to understand what it's like for you to be at home during the campus closure, and I am not looking to penalize or punish people for not posting work on their blogs.

These days I'm hearing the word accountability a lot. The actual definition of accountability is, "The state of being accountable or answerable."  It describes a personal quality that we develop within ourselves.  Accountability is also a practice. A person who is accountable takes responsibility for their choices and actions.

In school, however, when this word comes up, it is not seen as a character trait, but as something people do to each other, as in, "We've got to hold those students accountable."

So, today I am making a request. Please post something on your blog. If you haven't kept up with the meetings or the reading, then publish a post on your personal journal about your life during the closure. Something. I want to be able to tell faculty and administrators that our students are accountable as a matter of their personal sense of discipline and honor -- their character.

If you need any help or have any questions, please comment to this post or email dpreston.learning@gmail.com.

Thanks and be well. -dp

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...