Tuesday, January 14, 2020

more on vaping and other ridiculously self-destructive behaviors

I've been sitting with this for 24 hours: "Should I post about what I learned at the meetings yesterday?  Even though I think it's awful?"

The answer is: Yes, I should.  This is how we share our thinking in an Open-Source Learning Network.  So, even though I am disgusted by the topics and the fact that SMHS teachers spent hours on them in meetings about this stuff yesterday, it's important to communicate so that we're all clear. (And, as always, if you have an idea or a question about anything you read here, please feel free to comment or bring it up when we see each other in class.)

The first topic is getting to class on time.  Apparently this has become some sort of campus-wide mystery.  An administrator went so far as to say, "This is our problem as a community."

No, it's not.

You and I have a simple job to do.  That job begins with getting to Room 619 at the same time every day, ready to learn.  If I show up late (like that one day in fall when I couldn't get back from the administration hall in time for the start of a period) I get teased endlessly by a class full of students.  And rightly so!  It's my job to be there for you, prepared and ready to go, BEFORE the last bell rings. 

That is your job too.  No one else is responsible for you keeping your appointments but you. 

You know me.  If there is a legitimate reason or a crisis, I will understand.  Life happens.  But being on time is an agreement.  Nobody likes or respects a person who is constantly breaking agreements.  Being on time is also an important habit of mind that comes down to a personal sense of responsibility and discipline. 

I trust you and I want to help you be your best self-- so, be advised, if you can't do it on your own, and your habits become a tardy, screaming cry for attention and help to get the support you need to show up on time, I will give you and your family so much attention that you'll wish you'd never been late in the first place.  Better just to be where you're supposed to be, when you're supposed to be there.

The second topic relates to substance abuse.  Back in September I posted this item about the health risks of vaping.  What I didn't know then was that the problem (along with marijuana and alcohol, among other substances) has grown to the point where security officers and administrators have to routinely confiscate material and discipline students.  I also didn't know that vaping devices routinely explode-- even when they are not in use-- and have caused injury and death to people nearby. 

I'm going to keep this part short.  I can empathize with anyone who is in pain, or who wants to fit in, or [whatever else might motivate someone to alter their mindset in a way that seems favorable in the moment].  However, apart from the fact that these materials are self-destructive and illegal, and so obviously not worth the risk of bringing to school and getting arrested, the fact that they can explode makes them a weapon that puts the rest of us in harm's way.  I have feelings about that.  I have no intention of getting hurt because someone hasn't done their research and decides to act like a sneaky, brain/lung-damaged idiot. 

Substances are tricky, and so is our culture; we're going to read a novel that was written by an alcoholic who eventually killed himself by drinking too much, and we're going to read a short story by a recreational drug user who constantly wrote about getting high.  So rather than act like people are perfect, let's simply agree that we all have invitations to make choices, and since your brains are developing (and you need all the neurons you have), drugs and alcohol -- or vape pens, or stupid logo sweatshirts with drawstrings you thought adults don't know about, or whatever-- have no place in the room where the rest of us are trying to live and learn.

And now back to our show.  I hope you had a great break and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...