Friday, November 15, 2019

words to the wise about presenting your portfolio

Thanks to everyone who has given such great feedback today!  Based on your questions and insights, here are some reminders and pro tips for preparing and presenting your portfolio:

1. Make sure that your résumé is tailored for the purpose.
  • Your objective should be something like*, "To earn a grade of [letter grade here] in American Literature for the Fall Semester 2019 based on my class participation, my blog, and the quality of my journal writing." (*feel free to use these ideas or similar ones, and put them in your own words)
  • Since this version of your résumé should support this objective, make sure to highlight your related education, experience, and skills
2. Make sure that your cover letter is also tailored for the purpose.
  • It should be addressed to me at SMHS
  • Here is a sample script* (*again, feel free to use these ideas, and again, please put them in your own words-- I want you to practice writing a cover letter, not just practice copying someone else's :)
  • Paragraph 1: "I am excited about applying for my grade for Fall Semester 2019 in American Literature.  Based on my experience and performance, I believe my qualifications will earn a [letter grade here].
  • Paragraph 2: "Beginning in August, I have worked hard to [...].  I have diligently written every day in my journal* (*only if this is true), and I have created a blog that not only documents my coursework but also shows online readers how I design in media that share my thinking.  You can see my best journal entries on these dates: [list].  You can see my best blog entries here: [list by title or URL]."
  • Paragraph 3: "This semester has been [...] and I look forward to discussing this personally with you.  I understand you are busy, so if I do not hear from you by December 17 I will contact you to follow up.  Thank you for your consideration."
3. Remember that this interview is designed to help you.
  • Make sure to be in class on Monday, November 18 for "Interview Boot Camp."  I will give a crash course on everything you need to be successful in any interview you ever give.
  • Select your interview date
  • On that date, you should be at least as punctual as you are whenever the bell rings to begin class and you're in your seat, ready to learn
  • Dress for success
  • Take your time in answering questions
  • Once I post the questions and we practice a little on Monday, practice on your own (you can do this by yourself or with a friend/family member) 
  • Make sure to think of at least one question of your own, so that when I end the interview by saying, "Before we close, do you have any for me?"* (*and I will :), you have something to say
  • Check the course blog this weekend, because I will post a list of questions that I'll use to select yours

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...