Tuesday, November 12, 2019

are you wealthy enough?

This weekend I had a conversation with my brother-in-law about wealth.  My brother-in-law is in sales -- because, as he put it, "I got good grades and I know how to talk to people, but I never had a strong sense of what I wanted to do for a living."  He does pretty well and he knows it, but he also knows he doesn't need most of what he wants.  In his words: "It's funny how people's wants turn into needs.  I don't really need a souped up truck, but I built it and I enjoy it.  And now, if the transmission goes out, I feel like I NEED to buy a new transmission."

The conversation led us both to wonder how much people really need, and how much people have around the world.  We found an online world wealth calculator, where I learned that the average person in the world makes $1,700 -- A YEAR.

It turns out that we Americans -- including you and your family -- are all rich, by global standards.

I hear a lot from students who say they don't have time to read or do research or think deeply about anything because they're too busy working for a paycheck.  Is this true?  Does your quality of life depend on a few hundred bucks, and is that what's really in the way of thinking yourself to a better future?  You may want to have a look at the site and learn about the issue for yourself.  You can see where you and your family stand by using the calculator on the site. 

Feel free to comment to this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...