Tuesday, October 22, 2019

how can a star be older than the universe?

This just in from space(.com) -- astronomers have identified and dated a star that somehow appears to be more than TWO BILLION years older than the universe.  (full article HERE.)

I don't know how this is possible, but I suspect the answer is related to this observation from Cassius in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar:

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in the stars, but in ourselves..."

If you have any idea what he meant, or if you have any specialized background in astrophysics, please comment to this post and help us understand.


1 comment:

  1. I think that maby he means that we just didn’t keep track of star? He says that the star isn’t at fault but us as in humanity I assume? I don’t know, but how is a star older than our universe is it just another solat system? I don’t know what I’m taking about

    ReplyDelete

LAST POST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR/ june 3 w online meeting #50

What a year. As often as I say it, I still feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank you. Thank you for your effort, your insig...